It’s been called a staycation, or a vacation spent on your home turf. It’s possible to have a better vacation at home, since you’re saving so much money on travel, lodging, and food. You can spend some of that money at a high-end restaurant or golf course. There’s no reason to be upset if you can’t afford a week in Paris. You can find plenty to do at home!
Avoid the stress of traveling, sleeping in a different bed, and paying too much to eat every meal at a restaurant. Spend that money on more enjoyable activities.
Enjoy your vacation at home:
1. Spend the day at the beach. If you’re lucky enough to live near a lake or the ocean, a day at the beach is a good way to spend the day. Work on your tan and get some exercise swimming.
2. Spend the day at the pool. Those without access to a beach can take advantage of the next best thing: the local pool. Splurge for snacks and live it up.
3. Go for a long bike ride. Your bike might be hiding behind the lawnmower or beneath the rake, but it’s ready to go. Add some air to the tires and go out for a long ride. Look online for bike paths and popular routes.
4. Have a picnic. Whether it’s at the park, pool, or beach, a picnic provides a relaxing, enjoyable time. Pack your favorite foods and bring your favorite people. A bottle of wine can be a nice touch.
5. Attend a sporting event. Professional sports are exciting, but expensive. If an NBA game is out of your budget, check out the local high school team. Sports can be exciting at any level.
6. Read a book. It can be hard to find time to read when you always seem to be busy with work. Take advantage of your free time and relax with a good book. You might even find the time to get a library card. Then your books are free.
7. Visit a local museum or zoo. Most people go out of town to visit the zoo or museum. Now is the time to check out your local offerings.
8. Spend a day at the movies. Pack in three or more movies in the same day. The real cost is the food. Consider watching one movie, then heading out for lunch. You’ll be full and satisfied for the next couple of movies.
9. Have friends over for a movie night. Stay at home and rent movies on demand. Invite over a few friends and tell them to bring their favorite snacks.
10. Rent a boat. Rent a speedboat or sailboat for the day. Test out your skills and spend some quality time on the water.
11. Check out a local band. Get out for an evening and enjoy the local music scene. Enjoy the nightlife for a change of pace.
12. Go out for a fancy lunch. Since you’re not spending money on a vacation, you might have the funds available to have lunch at that fancy restaurant downtown. Splurge a little bit and enjoy yourself.
13. Work on your golf or tennis game. You’ve always said you’d be great at golf if you just had the time to practice. Now you have the time. Consider taking a few lessons and concentrate on improving your game.
A staycation can be a better option than going out of town. The sights might be familiar, but you’ll have more money to spend on entertainment if you stay at home. Use your vacation time wisely, get out of the house, and enjoy your time off.